As usual, on Saturday, but this time on 30th of August, we had a pleasure to take some REST with Vladimir Tsukur on REST Morning@Lohika event. This was the first time when we invited speaker not from Lviv as Vladimir works for GlobalLogic, Kyiv. Maybe the topic is really in demand or our speaker caused a stir but we had more than 70 participants in our cosy conference hall.
Also this event was special as this was the first time when TEAM International joined Lohika Systems as a partner of Morning@Lohika events. Hope not the last one!
Our welcomed guest from Kyiv, proactive engineer, technical leader and team leader focused on quality and pragmatic development of web projects, platforms and API. Engaged in favorite business for over 10 years. Currently working in the company GlobalLogic. Certified Scrum Master and XP-practices methodologies. Outsourcing partner of Swedish companies Easyhunt and Frost Digital in Ukraine. Active speaker on UA DEV Club and XP Days conference.
First we performed a deep dive in theory and covered:
- Roy Fielding’s “Architectural Styles and the Design of Network-based Software Architectures”
- Main principles of REST architectural style
- REST over HTTP
- Resources, IDs and representations
- Richardson maturity model
- HATEOAS, linking and media types
Afterwards we’ve continued with practical part:
- live demo sessions based on JAX-RS
- JAX-RS 2.0 new features in a nutshell
We hope that this morning was useful for:
- software engineers who had previous practical experience with HTTP/REST services but never thought about theory behind it or visa-versa
- QA engineers who are interested in theory behind it and ways how to test in programatically
- technical people who want to finally understand difference between REST-like and RESTful services
Please check video from the event: